Yesterday was the day when we had to finish the experiment in order to be mounted on the rocket. So more than finished, it shall be FINISHED. Quite a challenging task for us with the different problems we usually have whenever we try to do some similar to mounting the whole thing. From the previous post you should be aware that we were having a very long night, which ended up at 6.30 in the morning. Everything was going quite well, mounting was in progress, the problem with the GPS was solved, SCALES were put together and working etc. But when we mounted the FFU on the RMU a new problem popped up: lack of communication. The preload of the ejection spring was making the gap between the FFU and RMU too big for the umbilical pins, which were unable to have a proper connection with the e-box. This was a massive problem, as if we were not able to speak with the FFU when mounted in the rocket, we would be unable to send the mission mode command and we would fly a dead experiment.
We started analyzing different options, and we even started filing down the umbilical plates in order to be able to move the pins further up, allowing a proper communication. Mikko also came with the idea of modifying the pins in order to increase their length. They would not look as pretty but seemed to be a reliable solution. But we were extremely tired at the time after the 22 hour work day, and as we had to work later in the morning, we decided to go to bed and sleep a couple of hours.
What happened afterwards was a bit confusing. It was decided that some people should try to sleep a bit longer in order to go to the workplace later on and be more fresh. I was one of them, and I was supposed to be there at 10. However, my alarm did not went on (or i was so asleep that i didnt even hear it) and I was woken up at 12 by Georg and Gustav, claiming that it was lunchtime and that all the problems were solved. The pins of the FFU were made longer following Mikko’s solution and that the whole assembly was completely finished, so it was a pretty good way to start the day.
The rest of the day was much more relaxed, we mounted the experiment into the rocket, checked communication almost every time we touched the experiment and fix the last details (putting connectors to the service module and pyro cutter, securing cables etc etc.) After that, dinner, sauna and beer and long sleep.