February 19, 2011 Leave a comment
So the launch campaign continues here at Erange. It is now Friday night and the testing continues. Today another three bench tests have been performed and they all went well. Our experiment is working fine with the other experiments and the rocket module.
This morning, hopefully, we made the final tests with the wire boom, SCALE, systems and they are mounted and prepared for the hot bench test where all the scale systems will be tested one final time. During the hot bench test the pyrocutter will be activated and that will test the mechanism for the FFU deployment.
The testing of the wire boom mechanism has continued during this week and we’ve had both success and setbacks. We are working hard at testing the different systems and the GPS and wire booms have given us some extra challenges. The four wire booms have to work at the same time deploying the same amount of wire. The systems are supposed to deploy about 90 cm of cable but for some of them it only deploys about 60 cm before the motor stats to stalling. We have been testing and testing and now feel we have reached some results. The friction in the system has always been a point for improvement but we are now confident we have made some progress. The result so far on the wire boom systems are that they work more than half of the time and we will pray and keep our fingers crossed that the systems will work at launch.
It is now after midnight and we are working hard to make sure the experiment will be ready for the payload assembly tomorrow morning. The hot flight simulation earlier this evening went o but we still have some work to get ready for launch.
Cross your fingers for us and read the blog for the coming week.